Lemons and limes belong to citrus family, but they are more different than you have imagined. Lemons (Citrus Lemon) and limes (Citrus Aurantifolia) first difference is the size, lemons are much bigger and have oval shape, and limes are round.
Also, they differ in the taste as lemons are sour, and limes are sweet or bitter. The both are loaded with nutrients like potassium, folate, vitamins C and A, antioxidants, and flavonoids.
Lemons and limes are abundant in vitamin C, lemons have twice the amount of it. An average lemon contains 53mg of vitamin C and an average lime has 29mg. Limes abound in vitamin A and lemons are higher in potassium and folate.
Lemons and limes are alkalizing in nature, so they detoxify the body, which is highly beneficial, as experts claim that toxins are the main causes for the development of health conditions and diseases, like heart diseases, and type-2 diabetes.
Both citrus fruits are rich in limonoids, that fight carcinogenic compounds.
They have numerous other medicinal properties, and offer the following health benefits:
- The consumption of a glass of water with the juice of lemon or lime treats constipation
- Both citrus help digestion, and treat bloating and belching
- Lemon and lime detoxify the body
- These citrus fruits relieve asthma
- Have anti-viral properties that fight infections and colds
- Only few tablespoons of their juice in a glass of water can relieve heartburn
- Their juice can treat various inflammatory conditions, like rheumatism, arthritis, sciatica, gout
- You should rub the lemon or lime peel on the dry, scaly skin to soften and moisturize it
- You should mix some diluted lemon or lime juice with some salt and drink it to treat the pain due to gum infections and swellings
- You can rub their slices over the feet and soles to soothe the pain and detoxify the body
- In warm water with a few tablespoons of their juice soak the feet to help sleep, relax, and treat the tired legs
- Lemons and limes are extremely healthy and delicious, so make sure you consume them regularly and reap all their health benefits.