According to recent psychological theories the cause of anxiety is actually narcissistic abuse. Psychologists know that any sort of emotional or mental abuse can leave long-term effects on the mental and emotional health, and in case this trauma is experienced during childhood, it leads to even more severe consequences, and the child is persuaded that it is the culprit for the problem.
It is narcissistic treatment when the other person convinces you that everything is your fault, no matter what happens.
It is completely normal to disassociate after such emotional abuse, and it later leads to anxiety disorders, according to psychologists.
This are common anxiety disorders, by the Mayo Clinic:
- Agoraphobia present anxiety disorder that is manifested by an irrational fear of open and public places.
- Anxiety is caused by a medical condition like intense anxiety or physically-induced panic attacks and is characterized by persistent and overwhelming anxiety about commonplace activities or events.
- Panic disorders has cycles of panic disorders, like panic attacks out of the fear of having one.
- In abused children, selective mutism is common and while they are able to speak normally in relaxed settings, they still do not speak in certain situations.
- Separation anxiety is found in children in school or similar settings and is caused by the separation from parents or others who have parental roles in the life of the child.
- Also, social anxiety disorder means the avoidance of social situations due to fear, anxiety, embarrassment, and other negative self-reflected emotions.
- Fears or anxieties are specific phobias linked to certain situations or objects.
- Substance-induced anxiety disorder is related to anxiety or panic attacks due to the use of specific substances, or even withdrawal from those substances.
Those children with narcissistic and emotionally abusive are especially prone to anxiety. They are high-functioning, and good manipulators. In situations when caught in bad behavior, they can skillfully find a way to talk themselves out of trouble and turn the entire situation around.
This endless cycle of abuse confuses the victims because they feel that things are not right, but cannot find a solution.
Narcissists are compassionate, and empathetic people, that believe their abusers are actually nice people for long.
According to study by Muhammad Gadit from Memorial University of Newfoundland “Verbal abuse can cause significant psychological problems in later years and brain damage, including anxiety, depression, anger-hostility, and dissociation.”
According to Doctor Douglas Fields “When environment is hostile or socially unhealthy, development of the brain is affected, and often it is impaired. It was found that early childhood sexual abuse, physical abuse, or even witnessing domestic violence, cause abnormal physical changes in the brain of children, with lasting effects, that predisposes the child to develop psychological disorders.”
In case you have been abused in any way in your childhood, remember that it is NOT your fault. Be patient with yourself, and you will eventually become a stronger person, as time will recover the damage.